Skip to main content

Small Blessings


Ephesians 6:1-3

“Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord, for this is the right thing to do. 'Honor your father and mother.' This is the first commandment with a promise: If you honor your father and mother, 'Things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.

In this season of life I am learning that both my Mom and my own children are cherised and loved by the Lord.  In her weakness we are called to step in and help her. These are thankless acts and days.  However, in the midst of them the blessings and small ways we have seen God move are evident.    Over the last few weeks I have kept track of the ways I have seen God's provision and work.
1.  Mom loves to go out for dinner. It is the thing that makes her the most happy. She does not eat healthy and is often motivated by food.  With three kids and a husband I am not always available to try new restraunts.  However, the church has begun taking Seniors in the church to new restraunts once every month.   They take a bus and go as a community.   
2. Sunday nights are reserved for mom. We all have dinner and we can plan for her upcoming week.   Super Bowl was on a Sunday evening.  The youth group was scheduled to come.  We let Mom know that the door was always open. She came excitedly and was surrounded by middle school and high school teens. Each of these students warmly welcomed her and allowed her to join their conversation.   
3.  Tax season is approaching us. Last year I thought she could handle doing her own taxes.  That assumption was wrong and taxes were not filed. The IRS caught up with us and we finally settled in October.   This year Matt and I's financial planner reached out to see how he could help us in the transition.  I asked my question and was given a name and number. The accountant quickly replied and was readily available to assist us.  This year we will not be late.
4.  Sticht Center is something I have been looking at for some time.  The SC is a resource for those that have been diagnosised with memory issues and is a resource to families and the patient. I have asked my brother to research with me for sometime. He has not. My frustration with the situation was begining to boil.  I want to make informed decisions. Alone they are difficult.   After swim Madelyn invited a friend for dinner.  The mom asked if it was ok, and we welcomed her to our table.  We had never met and we began our initial conversation with the basics.   Well.. she works for the rehabilitation center.   She gave me insight and the knowledge to make my next steps. 

Comments